Areo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who or what is God?

2 posters

Go down

Who or what is God? Empty Who or what is God?

Post by Admin Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:17 pm

The first discussion on this forum concerns who or what is the concept of God personally to you. In all current and past societies, there are four major ideas regarding the concept of God:

• Pantheism - The belief that God is beyond good or evil and permeates everything in the universe or is even equal to the universe.

• Dualism - The belief that there are two equal and independent deistic powers in the universe.

• Theism - The belief that there is one or more God/gods that exist; it's the basis for the Christian, Islamic, Hindu, etc., belief systems.

• Atheism - The position that there is no God or gods in the universe.

The author of this forum takes the Christian stance that there is one God, that He is good (according to what most humans would agree that the quality of goodness is), that our world was created by this Deity, and that He takes an interest and is actively involved with the lives of the humans He created. That being said, I would like to hear what others' concept of God or the divine is, and engage in a respectful, yet vigorous, debate about this topic.

Please post your thoughts!

Admin
Admin

https://areo.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Who or what is God? Empty Re: Who or what is God?

Post by Bpb Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:47 am

Personally I am an atheist. It defies logic to believe in a creator who was made up by man thousands of years into hymn history. Then to believe that a holy book is the word of god, even though it was put together by a corrupt church.

Bpb

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:32 pm

Thanks for the post Bpb! (Hope you don’t mind, I’ll refer to your forum username)

There are actually a few lines of thought in your post, and the last two refer specifically to Christianity which believes that the Bible is the Word of God, and the canonizing (sanction or approval) of the Bible by the early church councils.

In this post I would like to respond to your first statement where you find it illogical to believe in a creator. Although I do think that the world we live in and the creatures in it without a doubt show evidence of intelligent design, one of the big evidences of a creator and deity to me is the presence of morality or “conscience” in humans and society. There is an inner standard and mutual understanding of right and wrong in humans and the universe, a very real “behavioral standard” that people expect each other to adhere to and by which they judge each other. Although it may vary a small degree from person to person and from culture to culture, it is actually very uniform and most people can agree on what is right or wrong. Essentially, there is a “code” or moral standard; things that we “ought” to do or not do, that everyone believes in. I believe this points to at least a “mind” or higher power in the universe from which this “moral sense” comes from. What do you think?

Admin
Admin

https://areo.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum